New Zealand

Temporary Visas

We can assist you with the following types of visa application for temporary stay in New Zealand:

  • Visitor Visa
  • Student Visa
  • Limited Visa
  • Work Visa
  • Visitor Visa

    A visitor visa allows general visitors to stay temporarily in New Zealand for up to 9 months. A further visa may be granted if you are eligible.

    During your temporary stay, you cannot work or undertake studies longer than 3 months.

    Visitor visas are also issued to Special Visitors such as dependent children and grandparents of New Zealand citizens and residents, and people travelling to New Zealand for a culturally-arranged marriage.

    Student Visa

    If you intend to study within New Zealand for more than 3 months, you will require a student visa.

    You may stay here for the duration of the course at approved educational establishments, provided you remain enrolled on the course and not do something else.

    It is a condition that you have appropriate and current medical and travel insurance while you are studying in New Zealand.

    Limited Visa

    This visa is suitable if you wish to visit New Zealand for a particular purpose such as to attend a funeral, wedding or conference.

    The length of stay will depend on how much time you need to achieve your purpose. You must leave New Zealand when you have completed your intention.

    You can apply for a further limited visa if you require more time to achieve the activity.

    Work Visa

    There are a number of categories of work visa. Some are temporary and some may lead to the granting of New Zealand residence. We have outlined just a few of them below. Do contact us to discuss your needs if you find that the categories listed here do not fit your circumstances.

    Essential Skills Work category

    You must secure a job offer first before you can apply under this category. Local employers are usually required to provide evidence that the job vacancy cannot be filled by New Zealanders.

    You must also be appropriately qualified by training or experience to take up the position. Your qualifications will be assessed against the prerequisites for the occupation on the Australian and New Zealand Standard Classification of Occupations or ANZSCO.

    An Essential Skills work visa is for 1 to 5 years, depending on the skill level classification of the job.

    Working Holiday Visa

    This visa type is for those between 18 and 30 years of age who wish to experience living in New Zealand on a working holiday.

    There are specific requirements to satisfy, depending on the country you are from.

    If approved, you will be granted a multiple entry visa for 6 months or 12 months, depending on where you are from. Citizens of the United Kingdom can apply for a stay of up to 23 months.

    Post-study Work Visas

    If you wish to remain and work here after completing your studies, you may apply for a:

  • Post-study work visa (open) which is for a maximum of 12 months, or
  • Post-study work visa (employer assisted) which is for a maximum of 2 years, or 3 years if professional registration for the occupation is required.
  • One of the requirements is that you must have successfully completed a New Zealand qualification that would qualify for points under the Skilled Migrant Category.

    Family category

    If your partner is a New Zealand citizen or resident, or holds a work or student visa, you may apply for a work visa to join him or her.

    Key requirements are:

  • Both of you comply with the minimum requirements for recognition of partnerships;
  • Both of you are living together in a genuine and stable relationship;
  • Your partner is eligible to support the application; and
  • Your partner meets certain character requirements.
  • The duration of the work visa is:

  • Up to 2 years if your partner is a New Zealand citizen or resident, and both of you have been living together for 12 months or longer.
  • Same length as your partnersí visas if they are work or student visa holders.
  • Work To Residence categories

    Long Term Skills Shortage Work Visa

    If you are successful in getting a job in an occupation on the Long Term Skills Shortage List (LTSSL) and meeting the requirements, you may be granted a work visa for up to 30 months. When you have worked in an occupation on the LTSSL for 2 years, you can apply for residence.

    Talent (Accredited Employers) and Talent (Arts, Culture and Sports) Work Visas

    The Talent (Accredited Employers) work visa is an option if you are able to secure a full-time job offer from an accredited employer for at least 24 months. Accredited employers are employers recognised as requiring skilled or talented workers from abroad.

    The Talent (Arts, Culture and Sports) work visa appeals if you have recognised talents and abilities in the arts, culture or sports fields.

    A key requirement is that you are sponsored by a reputable New Zealand establishment.

    These 2 schemes grant work visas for up to 30 months. After 2 years, you can apply for residence.